Posted on Feb 22, 2012 in Archives Committee, Featured Congregations

Methodists in Wolfville first worshipped in private residences until a chapel was erected in 1859-1860.  The Methodist Congregation joined the Presbyterian Congregation of Wolfville in 1923 and the Methodist Chapel was sold and dismantled that same year.

A Presbyterian Church was built prior to 1840. It was moved to another site in 1885, and burned down in 1913.  The cornerstone of a new Presbyterian Church was laid on July 8, 1914 during which the Moderator addressed the large crowd followed by Drs. Pollok and Forrest who gave “eloquent and practical addresses.” (The Presbyterian Witness, July 11, 1914, Vol. LXVII, No. 28, p. 8, MF183). Earlier that same day, the cornerstone for the Presbyterian church in Kentville was also laid.

Cornerstone WolfvilleThe new church, which would become St. Andrew’s United Church after 1925, was dedicated October 11, 1914. Again, we turn to the Presbyterian Witness for a description of this happy event: “Sunday last was a memorable day in the life of the Presbyterian Congregation in Wolfville, N.S., when their beautiful new church was dedicated.” Rev. Prof. J.W. Falconer, D.D.[professor at Pine Hill College], preached at the special service, as well as a young people’s meeting in the afternoon, and was assisted by Rev. R.B. Layton of Kentville during the evening service.

The new building was constructed of roughly hewn stone with an asbestos roof and sheathed ceilings with the beams showing. The interior consisted of an auditorium, the Sunday School room, a choir room, and a minister’s room on the ground floor with a kitchen and furnace room in the basement. The building was furnished in hardwood with the walls tinted a cream colour. The article concludes by saying “The pastor, Rev. G.W. Miller, and the spirited little congregation of Wolfville, are to be congratulated on their handsome, and altogether suitable new sanctuary, and on the bright outlook for the future (The Presbyterian Witness, October 17, 1914, Vol. LXVII, No. 42, p. 1, MF183).”

 

 Archive Picture # V-PC-1267-2