Posted on Oct 10, 2017 in Archives Committee, Featured Congregations

In the early part of the 19th century, Methodists and Lutherans in First South Church worshipped in the school house. Early names for the community of First South were South Range and Upper South. The new First South Methodist Church was officially dedicated on 25 March 1888.

In 1925, the First South Methodist congregation joined The United Church of Canada and became First South United Church. At this time it was part of the Lunenburg Pastoral Charge which also contained the appointment of Central United Church.

First South United Church separated from Lunenburg Pastoral Charge effective February 23, 2012 and became its own pastoral charge. The names for the newly created pastoral charges of First South Pastoral Charge and Central UnitedLunenburg Pastoral Charge were approved by South Shore Presbytery on November 19, 2012.

For a listing of the First South Pastoral Charge held at the Maritime Conference Archives, click here.

Leave a Reply