A Conversation that Worked- Based on parts of the body

Home Forums Youth Ministry Leaders A Conversation that Worked- Based on parts of the body

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Mat Whynott 5 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Mat Whynott

Last week in church our Minister discussed 1 Corinthians 12:12-31 (The Whole of the Body). I felt it was a good message to discuss with our youth group. You may want to centre the youth with a candle or a prayer to begin and remind the group of your norms(rules) that you laid out at the beginning of the year.

This is how our discussion went:

1. Read the scripture but don’t tell them it’s from the Bible that it’s something you found on the internet. In the translation that you read it from, make sure not to read anything with God/spirit, etc. It needs to sound not Bibley (if you know what I mean)

2. Ask them what makes sense in the reading? Do any words pop out? What doesn’t make sense?

3. Read it again, but this time ask your youth to think of the questions you just asked them while you read.

4. This time, ask if anything that is discussed in the reading is pertinent to their own lives. To begin the discussion we talked about whether or not it’s true from the following statement:

“Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the Body.”

Think of the hand as a human and think of the Body as the earth.

Change the verse to read: Now if I were Asian and I were to say “Because I am not caucasian, I do not belong to the earth”, how does that change the verse? Do you encounter times in which you feel we as God’s children treat others like that, that they/we do not belong? Expand on that ask for instances.

5. If you were with a group of friends and you were to try to describe a person of african dissent would you immediately go to their colour to describe them or their characteristics. (most of our kids said their colour). Why? (kids will more than likely respond “because it’s easier”) Is that a way to treat someone? Put yourself in their foot steps.

6. What about when we talk about “the learning centre kids or disabled kids”? Change the words around by saying “kids in the learning centre or kids with abilities”. Put the person first.

7. Your discussion could go on for an hour I’m sure. Some of our youth learned things about others that they would not have known otherwise. End with, telling them that the reading was from the Bible and remind your youth that the Bible is not to be taken literally but used a guide in your life. No matter your race, colour, creed, orientation, etc we are all loved by God and God will walk with us no matter any of those.

8. Finally, finish with a squeeze prayer, popcorn prayer, etc.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.