FROM
NOW
ON

Learn more about the various congregations within the Maritime Conference.  Contact us if you’ have a story to share.

Event: The First Maritime Conference, 1925

Posted by on Mar 26, 2012 in Archives Committee, Featured Congregations | Comments Off on Event: The First Maritime Conference, 1925

Event: The First Maritime Conference, 1925

“By authority of the General Council the first Maritime Conference of the United Church of Canada, convened in Fawcett Hall, Sackville, N.B., on Tuesday evening, September 1st, 1925, at 7:45 p.m.” (Minutes of the First Maritime Conference, 1925, p. 1). And so began the first Maritime Conference, which met from September 1-4, 1925. Rev. Clarence MacKinnon was elected President and Rev. D.A. Frame and Rev. H.T. Gornall were elected joint secretaries. Ian McKinnon, William H. Forsythe, and D. Sutherland McLeod were ordained during the...

read more

Profile: The First President of Conference

Posted by on Mar 15, 2012 in Archives Committee, Featured Congregations | Comments Off on Profile: The First President of Conference

Profile: The First President of Conference

Clarence MacKinnon was born in Hopewell, Pictou County, Nova Scotia on March 11, 1868. His parents were Rev. John and Margaret (Tait) MacKinnon. MacKinnon attended public schools in both Prince Edward Island and Scotland and went on to earn a divinity degree from the University of Edinburgh. After returning to Nova Scotia in 1892, he was ordained as a Presbyterian minister and served in several charges until he was appointed Principal of Pine Hill (then a Presbyterian College), Halifax; a post which he would hold for 28 years. As a strong...

read more

FROM: Laying the Cornerstone 1914

Posted by on Feb 22, 2012 in Archives Committee, Featured Congregations | Comments Off on FROM: Laying the Cornerstone 1914

FROM:  Laying the Cornerstone 1914

Methodists in Wolfville first worshipped in private residences until a chapel was erected in 1859-1860.  The Methodist Congregation joined the Presbyterian Congregation of Wolfville in 1923 and the Methodist Chapel was sold and dismantled that same year. A Presbyterian Church was built prior to 1840. It was moved to another site in 1885, and burned down in 1913.  The cornerstone of a new Presbyterian Church was laid on July 8, 1914 during which the Moderator addressed the large crowd followed by Drs. Pollok and Forrest who gave “eloquent...

read more