Are you interested in showing films? Then it is time to consider getting a Public Performance Video License! Please find the information below. If you have directly received an invoice from a video licensing company for 2019, please disregard it, as invoices will come directly from the EDGE office.


The Program
EDGE is pleased to offer you the opportunity to obtain a Public Performance Video License at great cost savings for your church!  If you were to go directly it would cost you a minimum of $300 to secure a license.  But with the group savings, the average church only needs to spend $75 – $150.

We have negotiated a video licensing agreement with Criterion Pictures and Audio Cine Films (ACF) Inc. who represent most of the major distributors including Paramount, Universal, Alliance Atlantis, New Line Cinema, Miramax, Disney, Veggie Tales and many, many more!

There are many creative ways that you can use films in your congregation – legally!
– During worship
– Fundraisers
– Family nights
– Youth group events
– Education programs

It is our hope that the availability of this licensing arrangement will be one more tool that supports your ministries in creative and just ways.


Why Do We Need A Public Performance License?
You need a public performance license:
– If you show movies or clips from movies/TV programs for public viewing (unless you are showing ‘live-fee’ YouTube material)
– Public viewing includes every time your show a video in the church building during programming or worship or fundraising
– It doesn’t matter whether you own or rent the movie/clip

The Canadian Copyright Act applies in all cases, even if films are personally owned, brought in from outside sources, obtained from rental outlets, or purchased in retail stores.  It applies if films are shown freely, partially, or to small groups, for educational or fundraising purposes.  Additional information concerning copyright can be obtained from the Copyright Board of Canada at

Summary: Without a public performance license you are breaking current copyright laws.

Criterion Pictures Includes:
Warner Brothers, Artisan Entertainment, Alliance Films Inc., Big Idea, Inc. (Veggie Tales), 20th Century Fox, Fine Line Features, Focus Features, Odeon Films, Miramax Films, USA Films, New Line Cinema, Fox Searchlight, Sony Pictures Classics, Paramount Picutres, Nelvana, DreamWorks SKG, Lucas Films, And more!

Audio Cine Films Inc. Includes:
Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Christal Films, Columbia Pictures, Equinoxe Films, Orion Pictures, Pixar Animation Studios, Sony Pictures Entertainment, United Artists, MGM Studios, Universal Studios Canada (plus others).


The Cost
The combined cost for both companies to cover congregations in Canada is $1.50 per person plus HST per year (based on average Sunday attendance as report on the 2018 Statistical Return Forms filed with The United Church of Canada). The license will be effective from January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019. EDGE handles the administration to keep the costs low. Please be sure to calculate your fees using the appropriate percentage of tax depending on where you are located.

Example of 60 people on Sundays:

60 x $1.50 = $90.00

+ 5% GST (Alberta) = $94.50

Example of 100 people on Sundays:

100 x $1.50 = $150.00

+ 13% HST (Ontario) = $169.50

At the moment, we are offering licenses that run from April 1st, 2019 through December 31st, 2019 at a rate of $1.20 per person plus tax.


Signing Up
Step 1: Application Form. If you are interested in registering your congregation for a Public Performance License, then please go to to find the correct application for you (sorted by province). Then, send your completed application form that is attached in this email to Alexandra Belaskie ( If you have questions, please feel free to email or call Alexandra at 1-800-268-3781 x4157

Step 2: Payment.  Please make your cheque payable to The United Church of Canada with the memo: EDGE. This should be mailed to:

The United Church of Canada
ATTN: Alexandra Belaskie
3250 Bloor Street West, Suite 200
Toronto, ON M8X 2Y4

All applications are to be returned to the General Council office as soon as you can. Please be sure it is in the mail prior to Tuesday, April 30th, 2019.

Upon payment of your licensing fee with the application as above, your licensing agreement will be in effect as of April 1, 2019. After submitting your application, I will send you the reporting information directly in April. All reporting can be done online.